Bluestem Communications is seeking a part-time Finance Manager. Bluestem Communications, Inc. is a nonprofit environmental organization that designs, implements and evaluates communication, education and outreach initiatives that inspire people to make the connection between their values and environmental causes. The organization is supported by approximately 60% grant income and 40% fee-for-service income.
Bluestem Communications is located in Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood. The organization is comprised of an Executive Director and five full-time staff members and several intern positions. The office environment is casual and collaborative.
Purpose of Position:
Provide accounting, financial management, budgeting, grant compliance, and administrative oversight for the organization.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that expenses are tracked and paid according to budget categories and programs
- Prepare and submit all invoices for grants and fee-for-service contracts, as required on a monthly or other schedule.
- Perform monthly close process, including calculating payroll by program, reconciling bank and credit card statements, and standard adjusting entries.
- Provide monthly agency budget and financial reports to Executive Director.
- Accurate and timely bookkeeping of all financial records.
- Manage human resource functions, including semi-monthly payroll and benefits administration.
- Monitor and coordinate all phases of grant programs and restricted contributions from award through close-out, including grant administration, reporting, budgeting, and compliance with approved budgets, contract terms, and legal or regulatory requirements.
- Prepare project budgets; assist with development of proposals and grant applications.
- Assist Executive Director with annual forecasting and agency budget.
- Prepare and present quarterly financial reports for the organization’s Board of Directors.
- Work with Executive Director to develop appropriate invoice schedules and monthly project status reports.
- Monitor and report on the organization’s restricted and unrestricted reserve funds.
- Manage annual external audit process.
- Assist with other general office duties such as ordering supplies and managing outside service providers such as IT and Auditors.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and program meetings as necessary
- Perform other duties and functions as required.
- Extensive experience developing and managing nonprofit budgets and grants.
- Understanding of the nonprofit, fee-for-service business model.
- Experience with financial information systems and computer applications, including QuickBooks, Excel, and Word.
- Ability to work autonomously while communicating effectively with the Executive Director and staff.
- Knowledge of GAAP for non profits.
- Non-profit experience is a MUST.
- Degree in finance, accounting, or related subject, or equivalent experience (MBA and/or CPA desirable).
- 3 to 5 years of nonprofit accounting experience.
This is a part-time position, 20 hours per week with the ideal starting date on or before May 15, 2015. The salary is $27,000 – $30,000, plus 5% retirement fund contribution.
Interested candidates please send cover letter and resume to:
Resumes with cover letters will not be considered.
Bluestem Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer, EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive list of duties or responsibilities required of an employee.